Sunday, November 6, 2011

It's easy to be greedy

Giving during the holiday season is just as important as during the rest of the year.  For me it's easy to get caught up with looking at toy catalogs and wanting a lot of things.  We've started eating soups this week to fund our Joy Jars.  It reminds me that even though I don't like some of the soups my mom makes, it's just a small thing I can do to help someone else.  It's also important to remember that their are people near you in America that need help as well.

One thing my family does is participate in our church's giving tree program..  We pick a family that our church is sponsoring, and buy them Christmas presents.  We usually try to find kids our own age so it's easy to pick stuff out for them.  Mom and dad want to be a blessing to the parents, so they usually pick out some stuff that would be helpful like winter jackets and other clothes on the list.  They leave the fun part to my brother and I, and we get to pick out the toys.  If your church doesn't have a giving tree there are several ministries you can contact and support.

Mom and dad are still trying to help me do a run to finish out the year, and dad had a crazy week at work so he didn't get far.  He is going to make some phone calls this week to help out.

1 comment:

  1. Wilson, you have a sweet, giving heart. I love that you think of others. So many great ideas you have shared with us. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete